Ranikhet is a place of legends. Once upon a time, Queen Padmini of Kumaon was in love with this tiny hill paradise. King Sudhardev had to oblige her by building a palace here and naming this place ‘Ranikhet’ the queen’s field. No trace of the place can be found, but the place remains the same: bewithching, full of flowers, trees and green meadows amidst heavenly Himalayan surroundings.
Lost in to oblivion for long, the picturesque hill station was rediscovered by the British. The bought it from the local villagers to build it into a summer resort and established an army recruitment centre. It is still the head quarters of the Kumaon Regiment.
At the height of 1,829 mtrs.Ranikhet has everything to soothe the nerves of an avid city dweller; the salubrious atmosphere, tall conifer trees, green meadows, serene surroundings, absolute peace and the hospitable people. And it has also one of the best hill golf greens (9 holes) in the entire country.
Way to reach:
- The nearest Airport is Pantnagar (120 Kms). Nearest railhead Kathgodam (86 Kms).
- Ranikhet is well connected by roads. All season roads run through Haldwani, Bhowali and Khairna.
Places to visit:
- Chaubatia Gardens: 10 Kms south of Ranikhet are the famous orchards, which remain laden fruits round the year Ranikhet is known for its delicious apples, apricoats, peaches and various other alpine fruits.
- Kumaon Regiment centre Museum: An uphill road takes you to the Krc Museum from the Mall. The Museum displays memorabilia from the regiment past, the traditional costumes, armours used by the regiment in the past battles and medal won etc.
- Upat and Kalika: it provides golfing at the Top of the hills. One of the highest golf Courses in India.
- Mankameshwar: A modern temple dedicated to Lord Ram Krishna, and other Gods and Goddess.
- Tarikhet: It is 8 km from Ranikhet.Gandhiji Stayed here in 1920s.His cottage is major attraction. The famous hill temple of Golu Devta can also be visited, at Tarikhet.
Altitude: 1800m above sea level
Temperature: 18°C – 7.6 °C
Hotels and Resorts in Ranikhet: